Friday, February 19

{companions} pickled red onion


You thought I was kidding when I said this was my year to "pickle and preserve". No it really is! I can't wait for you to try these great pickled onions. They are a true companion to so much. They balance out sweet and spicy meats, punch up a salad and go great with a soft cheese.

Some of you may say, "but really what would I use them on???" Well next week they will be star of a salad I am posting on on amy and ann. Other ideas: any type of bbq (to balance out the sweet), along side roast beef or brisket (I might add thyme to them), over warmed goat cheese for an appetizer, with deviled eggs, and a must with any type of latin or mexican food (to balance out the spice : try adding a little cumin or cilantro to them).


get ready for easy sneezy!

pickled red onion by ann west

1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar
3 tbls brown sugar
salt & pepper
may add cumin, cilantro, or thyme
1 large red onion sliced paper thin

Heat the vinegar, brown sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add your onions and cook until they begin to turn bright pink. 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until cool. Cover and refrigerate.

Here is a sneak peak at the salad on next weeks amy and ann post... see those yummy onions!

2 comments:

We Blog Artists said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE red onions...growing up in a SCandi house...we had them on everything...
I might just try pickling some.
I heard today also that if you have red onions in your house...you won't contract that horrible Sick Virus which is spreading around...as the red onion soaks up the virus...and the houshold doesn't!
Have a great weekend..again:-)
Char

ann said...

great post!