Monday, January 11

{in the pot} winter vegetable soup


It has been cold everywhere. Comfort food is all I am craving ... unfortunately most the comfort foods I want do not work into my lose 5 lbs after the holiday plan. With this in mind and in an effort to keep cleaning out that over stuffed pantry I found a bag garbanzos begging (for months now) to be used. So here is what I have come up with. A winter style vegetable soup/stew. Warm and hearty! I serve this with toasted cheese on bread or with a good loaf and a wedge of cheese. I hope this breaks the chill in the air.



winter vegetable soup by ann west

1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
4-5 stalks of celery
5-6 carrots
2-3 parsnips
1 - 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
2 cubes knorrs chicken bullion
4-6 cups water
2 cups garbanzo beans (I used dried, you can use canned just make sure you rinse them - also you can substitute white northern, black eyed peas or any other hearty bean you like) lentils might also be yummy here.
1 bay leaf
1-2 pinches of thyme
pepper
parsley

Saute your onion and garlic. Add all of your other chopped veggies, water and bullion. Bring to a boil and reduce to a slow simmer. Add your spices and cook until veggies and cook until tender. Add your beans and let simmer a little longer. I always like to prepare my soups in the morning or the night before. The flavors are better. Adjust your seasonings.

consider: adding some tomatoes, green peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or red pepper flakes
optional: I will add 1/2 cup white wine 30 minutes before serving. I always like a little wine in my broth soups.

Kitty's tip: My mom is a pro at not throwing away food. She remakes, adds to and it is always good. So if you have leftover soup try blending it. Add a little parm on top or some sour cream (or both who are we kidding here) and you have a whole new soup. Honestly my husband can't wait until the 2nd day of veggie soup in our house. He prefers it blended!




1 comment:

amy and ann said...

that sounds tasty! thanks for posting.