Tuesday, January 12

{grabbing greens} blue cheese dressing

You can't beat a good blue cheese dressing. My mother has a great one. When she makes it I can't stop dipping carrots, crackers, ... really anything I can get my hands on to go in it. I would probably eat it by the spoonful if no one was looking. I love her dressing and I also love a dressing that Shari from rotten bananas turned me onto. It is from Cafe Pasqual's cookbook. It is a great blue cheese dressing that is poured over a salad that has green apples and Kahlua chili pecans. It is to die for! I will have to post that soon too. Anyway this is my wild "ann" mixture of the best of both of these dressings - and what I had on hand. I hope you like.

blue cheese dressing by ann west

3-4 oz blue cheese or roquefort cheese (for gluten free I would use feta!)
3 - 4 green onions chopped
1 shallot
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 half and half
1/2 cup sour cream
bunch of basil (fresh if you have it) chopped fine
bunch of cilantro (or parsley) chopped fine
salt
pepper
pinch of cayenne
1 tsp anchovy paste
2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice

You can reserve some of the cheese if you want chunks in your dressing or blend all of it. If you are using a mixer or blender - blend the cheese with the milk products until smooth. Then hand stir the herbs. (This way you won't make green goddess dressing!) Once you have stirred in the herbs, adjust the seasoning and let sit until ready to serve.

psst: the bread you see in the photo is naan from Target! Shari turned me onto it. It is great. I drizzled olive oil and topped with a tiny bit of parm and some italian herbs. Yum! I hope Shari will post some of her great ways to use the naan!

Also if you ever get to Santa Fe, NM : cafe pasquals is a must. Seriously don't skip it - delicious!


3 comments:

amy and ann said...

LOVE cafe pasquals!!!!! small world.
Wishing I could eat blue cheese! :(looks yum). amy

We Blog Artists said...

MMMMMmmmmm....sounds deeeeellicious...
Off to by ingredients for your winter soup.
Have a great day Ann.
Char

LobotoME said...

YUM! wishing i could eat bread or the blue cheese! ;)