Wednesday, January 6

{companions} pinto beans!

I have a pantry full of stuff. You know the grocery store impulse buy. "oooohhh, I think I will make pinto beans this week." and 4 months later there they sit. Well this month I am working through my pantry and my freezer. I think I learned this from my mother. Stock up. Be prepared. Well... let me tell you I am stocked and ready!

I love pinto beans. Hearty, warm a tried and true comfort food. Tonight I am simple going to make some rice, have a big salad and serve them with some tortillas for the kids. I think I might even have an avocado and some cilantro to garnish with. I hope you enjoy!

pintos by ann west

1 package dried pinto beans
1 onion diced
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 jalapeno - if you have it
2 quarts chicken broth

1 - 2 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 - 2 tbls red wine vinegar - or any vinegar you might have
2 tbls tomato paste
salt & pepper
dash of cayenne

Rinse your beans well. (no one wants a gritty pinto - yikes) Place them in a bowl and either soak overnight in water or do the quick soak method with boiling water (check the package). I think you let them sit for one hour or so. Chop your onion and garlic and saute it in 2 - 3 tbls olive oil until tender. Dump your beans into the pot. Slice your jalapeno and put it in the pot with the bay leaves too. Cover the beans with the broth until the liquid is about 1/2 to 1 inch over the beans. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour or so - lid on. You can tell when they are done by there skin. They all get that beautiful opaque pink look to them. (check your liquid and keep it right at the level of the beans.

Add your spices: oregano 1 - 2 tsp, 1-2 tbls vinegar, 2 tbls tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste. I also add a dash or 2 ok maybe 3 of cayenne. Make it how you like it and then cook it for another 45 min to and hour - with the lid off (this helps thicken the stock). Serve as a main or a side and enjoy!

snap shot: Pinto beans always make me think of the Wild West. and that always makes me think of pinto horses. I didn't have a photo of a paint but only of this rather gentrified quarter horse. As my daughter and cousins were washing him he was sneezing out the water. Aren't animals great!


5 comments:

Char said...

oh yum! I've never made them from the dried beans before.

but i have to laugh - i got the stock up gene from my mom too - i purchased a six pack of rotel tomatoes at Sam's this weekend and my brother (roommate) turned to me and said, you know we have like 4 cans in the cupboard now, right. but i just had to have them - i use rotels in so many things this time of year.

We Blog Artists said...

SUCH a wonderful shot Ann.
I love Pinto beans...so this will definitely be tried here in our house.Don't have the pepper...but the girls would probably prefer sin spicy.
Have a wonderful day!
Char
P.S.Missing AMY and Ann! looking forward to when you come back:-)

ann said...

So funny - aren't there times when you look in your pantry and think... hmmmm... so I really need 15 cans of tuna. Like somehow it made it on to my grocery list for the past 5 weeks.

I miss posting as well. No fear we will be back next week!

ann

amy and ann said...

I am working through our pantry too now as we are well stocked, hoping to save on the grocery bill this month by doing this! :)
I will make your beans this week FOR SURE!
XO. amy

christina said...

aren't pinto beans, just comforting.
and the horse made me lol.
x