Wednesday, January 20

{companions} peanut sauce

who invented peanut sauce?.... who was that totally talented inventor of the spicy sauce that we love so much?Really who said I am going to make a sauce from peanut butter and slapped it on some chicken or dip my fresh spring roll into that sauce? I am going to serve it with beef as well. Really who? Aaaaahhh who cares... I love it, my kids love it! I serve this with grilled lemon chicken or you can just mix it into some pasta add a little broth for a mock up of pad thai. It's a feel good food. enjoy!

peanut sauce by ann west

1 tbls olive oil
1 tbls dark sesame oil
1 -2 shallots copped very fine
2 tsp fresh ginger if you have it minced or 1 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 - 3 tbls rice wine vinegar
1/4 light brown sugar or honey
2 tbls soy sauce
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup katchup
2 tbls dry sherry - (if you don't have this you can omit but it is so good with)
1/2 lime squeezed

Saute the shallots in the oils with the red pepper flakes and ginger root until the shallots are transparent. Mix in the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, sherry and lime juice. Cook until heated through (1 min or so) Adjust seasoning. If your sauce is too thick add more vinegar and soy... too runny more peanut butter. If you have chili oil that is a nice touch too. I hope you love it as much as I do!

2 comments:

amy and ann said...

okay I am craving this. sounds amazing and easy too!
amy

Mike Whiteside said...

Peanut sauce, and just about anything else you can derive from a peanut, was invented by George Washington Carver. See:http://www.tuskegee.edu/Global/story.asp?S=1107158