Tuesday, November 17

{thanksgiving favorites} scalloped oysters


Thanksgiving for our family has always been a time for games. Board games, cards, charades, basketball, touch football ... good family friendly games. As a kid I remember playing basketball with my brothers before and after the big meal. Then once I was married my husband and I took on my brothers in a friendly - yet slightly competitive game of 2 on 2. Now that our kids are old enough all are welcome. The best is when my mother joins in. Even at my age I love when my mom joins in the games. And charades couldn't be more funny ... we found that the youngest of the bunch are usually the best at this game. I hope your weekend of memories include some fun family games!

scalloped oysters by kitty (my mom)

We have always served scallop oysters at Thanksgiving. I am not sure who brought this dish to the family traditions but it is a must for me. I think my mother's recipe was adapted from the New York Times Cookbook. It is just the right amount of everything. I guess some people add oysters to their stuffing. If you make this dish you please the oyster-lovers and don't disappoint those who like a more traditional stuffing. Darn it is all so good! So if you like oysters - try this one - it is lovely!

2/3 cup soft bread - white
1 cup cracker crumbs - saltines
1/2 cup butter melted
1 1/2 pt. small oysters drained - reserve the liquor (or the liquid they cam in)
3/4 tsp salt and pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbls heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degree. In a food processor blend the bread and the cracker crumbs and add the melted butter and whir. In a cup mix 1 or 2 tbls of the oyster liquor, the cream and the worcestershire sauce together and set aside. In the bottom of a greased baking dish spread 1/2 of the bread mixture. Lay the oysters on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley. If you have enough make a second layer of oysters. Pour the cream mixture over the oysters and top with the remaining bread/cracker mixture. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.

4 comments:

DesBisoux said...

i love oysters. out of the shell. it's odd but eating them cooked sort of sound weird to me! should be the other way round really!
xxx

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

Hmmm, haven't tried this before!
Sounds yummy...maybe it'll be a dish I can try with my parents back home.
Did you enter my giveaway Ann?
Have a wonderful day.
Char

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your dollopbyann.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com