Monday, September 14

{companions} fruit jam



It is raining today. Has been for three days. Refreshing and now getting a little old. Summer is gone and here comes the fall. My family, particularly my youngest has been asking for biscuits lately. I love a good biscuit, flaky, buttery and warm. After a trip to the farmers market I was inspired to try my hand at making jam. It turned out great! I made peach and blueberry - they didn't last long. My mother-in-law used her peach jam on ice cream - yum. Another toast to summer.



fruit jam by ann west

2 1/2 - 3 lbs peaches pitted and sliced, or blueberries or blackberries... add in 1 1/2 cup sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. you might also want to try adding in 2-3 tbls prosecco (or just have a glass while you are cooking), lemon zest, pinch of cinnamon. cook the fruit and sugar until a syrup forms. Let it cool slightly and jar (leave room at top of the jar for expansion from the heat) then cool completely. Keep refrigerated for a month.

[have you read the book Jamberry? a children's book that truly inspires jam making]

1 comment:

amy and ann said...

Love love this. Great start!!!